Our Exhibits
  Print This Page   Bookmark and Share

Brotherhood and the Bottomline
The Mosaic Templars of America

The Mosaic Templars of America was an African American fraternal organization founded in Little Rock in 1882 and incorporated in 1883 by two former slaves, John E. Bush and Chester W. Keatts. The organization was established to provide important services such as burial insurance and life insurance to the African-American community. Like many fraternal organizations, the Mosaic Templars' burial insurance policies covered funeral expenses for members, both men and women, who maintained monthly dues.

By 1913, the burial insurance policy also included a Vermont marble marker. These markers are still found in cemeteries across Arkansas and other states. As membership grew, the Mosaic Templars expanded its operations to include a newspaper, hospital, and building and loan association. The organization attracted thousands of members and built a complex of three buildings at the corner of West Ninth Street and Broadway. In July 1930, the Mosaic Templars of America went into receivership. The organization struggled to regain its status, but by the end of the decade it had ceased operations in Arkansas.

PDFBrotherhood and the Bottom Line Brochure

Mosaic Templars Cultural Center | 501 W. Ninth Street | Little Rock, AR  72201
Main Phone: (501) 683-3593 | Fax Number: (501) 682-5866 | Email: info@mosaictemplarscenter.com

Copyright © 2014 Mosaic Templars Cultural Center. All Rights Reserved.
Photos may not be reproduced without written permission from the director.
Funded in part by the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council.

Dept of Arkansas Heritage
Arkansas Arts Council
Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
AR Natural Heritage Commission
Delta Cultural Center
Historic Arkansas Museum
Mosaic Templars Cultural Center
Old State House

A Museum of The Department of Arkansas Heritage
Designed and Programmed by Aristotle